Northampton Inspire is part of the Stem to SteAm project at the University of Northampton.
From Stem to SteAm: Integrating Technology and the Arts in the Creative Classroom
The use of technology and digital media continues to rise in importance as a key cross-disciplinary skill. A goal of this project is to test an approach to developing visual culture via a forum for the creative exploration of the arts and technology in the primary curriculum. Academics, teachers and students will share strategies through face-to-face workshops, and populate an open online space with a virtual exhibition and a repository of resources. A key outcome will be a series of quality videos capturing practice and pedagogy shared on the Learn4Life web TV channel (L4LTV), a bi-weekly series of magazine-style micro-broadcasts for teachers.
University staff, students and primary teachers working together to:
- Share planning and strategies through face to face workshops
- Participate in blended media CPD
- Populate an online space with resources
- Create videos for L4LTV, a new source of CPD: ‘the world’s first brand new Teacher to Teacher CPD web TV Channel’.
- Carry out projects in schools (supported by student volunteers)
- Produce an exhibition (virtual and physical)
- Inter-disciplinary links between technology and the arts
- Development of online resources
- School partnerships (ITT Partner Schools and UCEE Core Schools)
- Student employability
- Support primary curriculum changes through CPD
- An online space populated with classroom resources, ideas and discussion on the theme of technology and the arts in education.
- A series of videos shared on the Learn4Life web TV channel and archived as an OER.
- A group of trained student student volunteers supporting the integration of arts and technology in schools.
- A screening event and exhibition of work at the NN Contemporary Gallery.
- A paper to disseminate internally and at conferences evaluating the approach and sharing ideas and outcomes.
Extending the project
- Partnerships between local enterprises and educational settings through a series of real world challenges to inspire genuine creative outputs from pupils.