The final session for the multi-sensory media gave us the opportunity to use some of the skills we had been learning all along. In the first part of the session with Rebecca Heaton we explored the use of visual media to create different responses.
We each brought a book in that was well illustrated and discussed the impact that these illustrations had on the reader.
We thought about how children are often visually literate before they are able to read. The can learn a great deal about a story from the visuals that go alongside them.
The book that I shared with the others in my class was a The smartest Giant in town written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler.
Children can explore the pictures finding new things each time they look. These sorts of visuals help children to develop not only the visual literacy but contribute to develop language skills.
Image from Julia Donaldson ‘The Smartest Giant in Town’. Image created by Alex Scheffler.
The next part of the session develop our skills at using different media. We either had to create a charter out of clay to be part of a new story or we used print to create a back ground for the character to be used with. Alongside Tracy we created a winter scene for a penguin and robin. We used different print techniques to create our background.
We initially used a technique called mono-print. This is where colour is applied to a smooth surface and then the paper is placed onto top. Once the paper is on top a roller is used to spread the colour onto the paper. In order to created shape or patterns other material can be placed onto the paper before it gets placed on to the ink. The texture can be increased by adding further colour in the same fashion. What is created is a unique print that is impossible to replicate again. We then created our own print blocks in order to add features onto the background. This second technique is called relief printing.
Once we had created out background we placed them with the clay characters created by Isobel and Gill. We then used an app called stop motion to make a short film with the scene and characters we had developed. Although the film is short it demonstrates what can be achieved in a relatively short space of time. Alongside the use of the apps it helps to give a sense of purpose and achievement to the products created.
Here is the background and characters we created…
And below is a short film we produced using stopmotion app.