11.28.13

The final farewell.

Posted in ICT Sessions and Reflections 2012/2013 tagged ocadiaocadia at 3:30 pm by Rosie

Session Six

So, it is our final session today and our focus is to peer review other peoples’ blogs and teaching resources which have been uploaded onto the class Teaching Resource Bank. By doing this, we will be aiding our own personal understanding of different ways ICT can be used within the classroom. Exploring the many different ideas and materials that are accessible on the resource bank, will enable us to gain a variety of different ideas which we can use within our future teaching of ICT.

Gipps and Pickering, (2010, p.241) suggest peer assessment allows learners to ‘learn from their own and others’ assessments’.’ I think it is important to peer review blogs, as it enables you to share ideas and give support to others, as well as receive feedback in order to develop your own skills.

I decided to peer review Stacey’s Blog. Although Stacey and I have worked closely throughout these sessions, our blog posts are quite different, demonstrating different sills and ideas. One thing I love about Stacey’s blog is the way she uses images to support her writing, which aids my own understanding of the activity or skill she is exploring. Stacey has also incorporated a number of videos, which are easy to access and a useful way to consolidate understanding. I like the way Stacey has backed her writing up with various different references, and even linked these to the corresponding website/internet page. However, one thing which would make this additionally helpful would be to have the written reference at the end of each blog post. Stacey has gone above and beyond with her contribution to ICT within her University education, which you can clearly see from her blog. Over these last few years, we have been encouraged to blog about the sessions, create activities and reflect upon our learning. Something that may have aided to Stacy’s organisation of the blog would be to add a few more categories, such as ‘Sessions and Reflections 12/13’ and ‘Sessions and Reflections 13/14’. This would make it a little easier for users to navigate around her blog. Overall, I am very impressed with Stacey’s blog, as Fountains of Wayne would sing… ‘Stacey’s blog, has got it going on’!! Please do not hesitate to check it out for yourselves –Stacey’s Blog.

It is also important to peer review other resources, which is particularly helpful when giving class feedback. I chose to peer assess The Autumn Season Encyclopedia, which was created by Rachael, Tracey, Ellen and Kat. This is by far one of my favourite resources on the resource bank, as there are some fantastic, well thought-out resource ideas. The link provides clear information and describes each resource in detail, with supporting images. The only thing that may improve this resource is providing links for every activity, such as Pic Collage, enabling teachers to access these activity ideas straight from the blog. Personally, I would feel confident in accessing these plans and resource ideas and using them to inform my own planning around the topic of seasons. Thank you guys, great resource!

I also chose to look at a resource, which was not created by someone in the early years class. This resource is based around making a book for key words used in science. The idea is for children to research a topic (in this case a science topic of animals) and create an information book on this area with an APP called ‘Book Creator’. Children can add a range of multimedia such as text, images, videos and sound, which enables them to engage in a range of different skills. I like the idea of using this resource, as it can be accessed across curriculum subject areas, along with different ages and ability, as long the deliver is appropriate. It is a resource which children can access and print as they please, which can aid their own learning development as well as support teacher in providing evidence for assessment. However, I personally feel that this type of resource would only work if it was delivered alongside other activities around the learning topic, as perhaps using it alone is not enough to extend and secure children’s knowledge and understanding on a subject. It should be used as a way of children demonstrating what they have learnt, rather than a tool to help them learn. Why not take a look yourself, as see what you think? > Harry’s Book of Science Resource  

During many of my sessions I have worked in collaboration with Stacey Tedds, Charlotte Sansby and Abbie Cayless.  We have worked together in a group to research and explore many of the different ICT resources and activities which have been offered to use within the sessions. It has also enabled us to help each other understand certain aspects of computing that we may have struggled to grasp individually; for example, Lottie and Stacey created the TouchCast video (shown in session five), and was able to share their knowledge of this experience with Abbie and I, as I know initially I personally did not feel confident in doing this activity. Howe, Davies, McMahon, Towler and Scott , (2005) suggest working and discussing in groups enables learners to share ideas, extend thinking and deepen and secure understanding. I feel working together enabled us to gather a wide range of ideas and share this information with each other, therefore broadening our knowledge of computing and gaining more experience ready to head into teaching very soon!

References: 

Gipps, C. and Pickering, A. (2010) Assessment for Learning. Formative approaches. In: Arthur, J. and Cremin, T. (eds.) Learning to Teach in the Primary School. 2nd ed. Oxon: Routledge

Howe, A. Davies, D. McMahon, K. Towler, L and Scott, T. (2005) Science 5 – 11: a guide for teachers. London: David Fulton