Travelling hopefully

Prepare for a life of English luxury in Bangalore!

If riding a bicycle, moving relatively slowly through the countryside under one’s own power, with an opportunity to appreciate the landscape and enjoy the air, is one of the most civilized forms of transport, then flying long haul economy class must be one of the least.

The cabin crew on board the flight work hard to satisfy their customers, answering the sound of bells, often summoning them to petulant and unfriendly passengers, who believe that it is their right to command attention and make demands. Ever smiling and willing these overworked individuals tread the gangways, pushing trollies with hardly an inch to spare or carrying various items to impatient travellers who appear to see them as their own individual galley slaves. By the end of yesterday’s flight they looked like exhausted teachers who had finally lost control of a class who refused to do up seat belts, remain in their seats or put armrests down. Why are so many passengers intent on making life difficult for these hard working cabin crews?

The long flights from Birmingham to Dubai and thence on to Bangalore are a tiring, but necessary part of teaching on the MA programme. Personally, I find the balancing act that has to be delicately managed with an over packaged meal on a flimsy tray, a particularly irksome feature of this kind of travel. Alongside this, and in stark contrast with riding a bicycle, the view is often restricted to the passenger in the next seat or a small screen on the back of the seat eighteen inches in front of my face. However, I am not complaining, because the opportunity to visit India in order to work with colleagues and students is an immensely rewarding one.

Arriving in Bangalore, even when exhausted after a long journey and the negotiation of the paperwork and customs requirements for entering the country; this time an ebola screening form and heat detecting cameras was added to procedures; it appears that my senses are heightened and my powers of observation raised. I am used to the garish and often obtuse advertising ever present on hoardings in the city, and last night, even whilst watching the motions of a carousel in hopeful anticipation of the arrival of my luggage; my eye was drawn to one such electronic advertising feature. Here in the arrivals hall, clearly located to attract the attention of passengers who may be anticipating a more permanent stay in the city, was the display placed at the head of this blog posting.

I must admit that this bright red advert brought a smile to my face for several reasons. Firstly, the bold assertion that “Charm is a Statement Made in Silence,” does not resonate easily with my impression of a city where the hustle and perpetual motion of traffic with constantly blaring horns is the norm. Who, I wondered, would enforce the silence that is so confidently acclaimed? Far more than this, however, my amusement was intensified by the planning of “Villas with an English Accent”. This Englishness was, of course further heightened by the image of Charlie Chaplin, great comedic star of the silent movie era; a form of cinema which operated on a level considerably different from that promoted through Bollywood.

Reading the words on this board, I found myself thinking of the supreme irony of advertising English style homes here in India. How fascinating I thought, in 1947, after a long struggle the Indian people were (quite rightly) glad to see the back of the British. Now it would appear that they want to emulate our life style by living in mock English homes! Incidentally, I am not aware of anyone who has lived in an English villa since the Romans left Britain, but that is a mere aside. What, I wondered is the attraction of this type of housing development? I find it hard to believe that a bill board at Heathrow airport would carry an advert in an attempt to sell Indian style homes. Even if they were portrayed as the Palaces of the Maharajas I doubt that anyone would believe the hype!

Here then is yet another Indian conundrum, one of the many that I will encounter over the next fortnight for sure. In a country where we are told the economy is booming and India is asserting its identity, why is there a lack of confidence in designing, building and advertising housing which might proudly announce an Indian national identity?

Leaving the airport and heading into the Bangalore city night I felt very privileged to be returning here to work. I know that over the coming two weeks myself, my colleagues and our students will be working hard together. Great learning opportunities will present themselves to all of us. I also know that I will continue in my optimistic, though ultimately hapless venture, to solve the many puzzles that India continues to present. Such joy!

4 thoughts on “Travelling hopefully

1. I was listening to a radio programme the other day that was suggesting that the reason we regard the past as more attractive is that human brains are inherently optimistic. I wonder if the same thing is happening with English houses in India. Despite the way in which the British Raj behaved there were economic benefits to India such as the railways. I am not particularly knowledgeable about India but wonder if there is some of the viewing the past through rose coloured glasses?
    On your trip itself, I have often wondered while on a long haul trip back to Perth whether everyone wouldn’t be more content if we were all sleep induced. In the time I have been making the journey the scope for individual entertainment with choice through a wide selection of movies, games and music has developed. My personal preference remains of going to sleep. I am one of the lucky ones who can do it.
    Have a good trip. I envy your experience.

• Hi Carmel,
      Not sure about being sleep induced I suspect I might feel quite vulnerable.
      I am always surprised by the great warmth that most Indians have towards the British, despite so many years of occupation. I know that this is not replicated in all former colonies. We did indeed bring many good things to the country, but sadly at a considerable cost to Indian lives and culture.

2. Richard, welcome back.. Look forward to seeing you next week and to a week of learning and a change in thought process..

Quite some years back, during one of my weekly flight travel I had asked one of the crew who was giving the safety demonstration if she ever thought that what she was doing was monotonous.. Her reply still rings in my ears, “Ma’am, I meet different people everyday and this makes what I do interesting to me”.. So beautifully put..
    I guess when this attitude is there, handling challenges seem like a breeze..

• Hi Malathy,
      I’m looking forward to working with you again, we have plenty of activities planned.
      Cabin staff are usually very professional in what they do. Sadly they do not always receive the respect they deserve.