Interlude

If a finer mode of transport than the bicycle has been invented I am yet to have discovered it!

“Nous prendrons le temps de vivre,

D’être libres, mon amour.

Sans projets et sans habitudes,

Nous pourrons rêver notre vie.”

Georges Moustaki

The last few weeks are always a scramble. Can the end of term really be so close? Yes it can – then suddenly it’s here! It does seem that every summer we are taken by surprise. The holiday we have been talking about for months is suddenly upon us, and as in previous years we are not yet prepared. It’s not that we don’t need the break – but just that life moves too fast for us to keep up.

Ready or not, it’s time to go. Our bicycles are loaded and for a few weeks we will bid adieu to turn the pedals and enjoy the delights of the quietest lanes we can find. So, until we return, hopefully renewed and ready for the next round of challenges, I would like to say thank you for reading and leave you with the famous words of Muhammed Ali and several dozen before him – “I will return!”

10 thoughts on “Interlude

1. Hi, Richard and Sara, I also wish you a wonderful holiday :). Hi from Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand. I joined a programme called ‘educators visiting educators’ which provided me chances to visit local schools here since July 23. I have talked with children with special educational needs in mainstream schools, their parents, teachers and principals. It has been a wonderful learning opportunity for me. I am very impressed by what I have seen here. At this afternoon’s assembly, children from different culture backgrounds shared the beauty of the countries where they were from in singing and dancing to the whole school. Many parents came to participate. I could see that everybody was happy and excited. It is just a primary school with 90 or so children studying at it. But obviously, the school is functioning very well in terms of inclusion.
    I will be waiting to join the blog discussions when you raise new questions for us. Next week, I will ask teachers here whether they read research papers regularly for professional development. If not, I would like to know what prevents them from doing so.
    All the best wishes for a nice holiday. My ‘research holiday’ in New Zealand will end by August 13 :). Mary

2. Hi Mary,
    Good to hear from you and to know that you are continuing your learning in New Zealand. I am glad that you are contemplating using the blog for discussion with students. Sharing ideas across cultures as you are doing there is an important process of building international respect and understanding. Enjoy the rest of your visit and keep encouraging discussion and debate.

3. Have a great holiday and I look forward to many more interesting discussions. Thank you for the meaningful interaction that you have begun.