Exploring and Using Data

Subject/Topic: All About Me

Key Stage: 1

About: To use technology to collect data based around the  ‘All About Me’ topic and what a day focused on all about me may be planned like.

The theme that I have looked at and created some lessons ideas around is the topic of  ‘All About Me.’ My idea would be to have four ‘stations’ for the children to access, each with a different activity, this would be a way of keeping the classroom environment organised, if the classroom is organised and the activities flow well children are likely to gain more for each experience rather then having ‘free rein’ and the classroom becoming very busy there not enabling. Each activity would be based around ‘All about me’ including opportunities for children to collect data on their peers, looking at themselves, what makes them unique and favourite hobbies. The only constraint you could come across in the classroom when completing this would be the children’s understanding on how to use the software, for these sorts of activities I would plan this sort of session for children in years 1 – 2, as children are beginning to be able to read and follow simple instructions therefore can support each other as well as having teacher support especially when using technology. I feel it would be important to insure the teaching assistant is  aware of how to use the programs and apps so they are also able to support the children.

For a class of 20 I would plan this sort of session once children have some knowledge about themselves and what makes them unique swell as the ability to use simple software. I would begin the day by playing an Animoto, I have created an Animoto I would use, some pictures I would change using pictures of the children within the class so it is more personal to them and more engaging. At all times its important to be diverse within the classroom and its important that this is considered throughout. Here is an example of an Animoto I would use:

The children would then be introduced to the different types of programs they will be using throughout the day including 2count and pictograph creator on Purplemash these are programs which enable them to collect data and display them in a graph, at each table there will be five children in order for the children to move around the classroom and complete the tasks in an enabling environment and so it doesn’t get to overwhelming with 20 children trying to collect different data. At one station children could collect information on their peers eye colour, the children could move around the room with an iPad to collect their data, I have created an example on 2count which I found really simple to use, but a little limited on the topics.

Another table could have iPads on, children are able to take a picture of themselves and then either draw what they see on paper or use an app called You doodle this app allows children to draw over the picture that they have taken and once drawn over, they are then able to delete the original photo underneath, the pictures can they be printed and put on display. Children are then able to see how everyone is different and along with the data they have collect build and bigger picture on their classmates. I have created an example using You Doddle, I found it really easy to use and feel it would be really effective in the classroom with children.

Another activity on a different table would be for children to create a family tree, this will support their communication, language and literacy as well as their understanding of family.

At the beginning of the lesson during the introduction, I would discuss with the children what types of things they like to do/ hobbies a chart will then be created using Pictograph creator, once the children arrive at the white board they are then able to tap on the thing they enjoy doing the most, while at this activity children will have the oppurtunity to see how many children ahem already participated they are able to use their knowledge of number by adding and recognising numbers.  The children would then have the option of using the outside area or the role play area. The role play area ties in with the topic as children are acting and taking on the role as someone else but their appearance is still the same other then clothing. Outside children are able carry out their hobbies and also have access to water and sand play which could involve small world people of different heights that they are able to catch in nets and group (as an example) Here is an example of what a finished class Pictograph could possibly look like.

Pictograph creator

When searching the internet for ideas I came across a Who am I program on the internet called Who am I this is a great program to use with children and it is very easy for children to use as they are able to read the question as well as here it, it is very visual and asks all about the children including age, gender, hair length, colour, it gives diverse options including skin colour and options for glasses, once all the questions have been answered a cartoon image is displayed of the child. I would have this program up on a separate computer for the children to use once they have finished an activity, for the other children that have finished an activity I would have books for the children to read and explore with their peers.

Throughout the day stories could be read and songs sung for example the book My funny family or Daddy and Me. This will help to reinforce the subject and allow children to recognise that everyone is different and unique and each person is as important. To finish the children would all come and sit in a group at the front facing the whiteboard and complete a game made using Notebook, I created a pairs game in which the children can take it in turns to choose a pair, it allows the group to come together and review what they have done in the day. Here are some screen shots from the game I created.

Screen shot onceThis screen shot shows that the number one card has been picked, a child will then pick another number to see if they can find a matching pair. This allows children to recognise number, use number names, memorise where things are and it all relates to all about me once the pictures are revealed.

Screen shot 2 This screen shot shows once some pictures have been matched.

This would be a rough plan of how I would use technology to collect data swell as linking to a theme and allowing children many oppurtunities to explore through technology as well as hands on reading, writing, drawing and exploring. The examples of actives could be differentiated and changed to suit the needs of the class and the age and stage of the children. To keep it organised I believe it is important to have 5 children at each specific activity, once the children have finished they are able to use other areas of the classroom as mentioned earlier, the children will then rotate and participate in a different activity until they have been able to explore all thats available to them to support their learning and understanding.

One Comment

on “Exploring and Using Data
One Comment on “Exploring and Using Data
  1. Pingback: Session 9: Infographics and Data | Early Years ICT and Pedagogy