Computing session 1: Manipulating Media

The objectives for the first computing session were to explore the role of media as a presentation and creative tool. To explore sound and video editing tools. And finally to develop a media resource.

When creating a media resource, it is important that both audience and purpose are considered. Media is a fantastic way of expressing ideas, however it should be made suitable for the age range it is being used for in order to support the successful teaching of a concept. For example, using a media tool available online it might have been possible for the teacher to create a poster with diagrams to display a concept. However whilst this is could be very useful for children being taught in upper key stage two it would not be appropriate for children in lower key stage two or even key stage one. This is also true of purpose, if the teacher was teaching a class of children about the concept of gravity it would not be appropriate to have information about life cycles on the same resource for example.

Examples of the different tools which can be used to create a media resource include:

–       imovie projects and trailers: video editing software application

–       movie maker: video editing software, available on windows computers

–       videoscribe: a tool to create animated text over a video

–       tellegami app: an app that lets you create an animated video

–       touchcast: an application where you create a video and it becomes mixed with multimedia

–       popplet: a tool to share ideas in the form of a thought shower

–       make dice lite: uses the ipad as a dice roller, the teacher can change what is on the faces of the die

–       infant encyclopaedia: a website with a variety of information about different topics

–       2 simple city: website with an animated city, which children can explore

–       Purple mash: website with a variety of topic based interactive activities

–       2 create a story: website where children can create their own stories

–       Puppet pals: application that lets the user create their own videos using the characters

–       Media collages: website containing tutorials for different media programmes

–       Morfo: making characters talk with apps, making books talk, adding sound to images, talking stories, talking pictures

–       Apps for making ebooks

–       Layering apps: an application that allows more than one photograph to be layered over the top of each other

–       Pinterest: a website where users can ‘pin’ resources to their page so that they can find them easily and use again at a later date.

Our task in this session was to choose one of the tools listed above as a starting point for developing a media resource and activity idea. I got into a group with Firouzeh Kern. We decided to create a resource using the online website popplet: http://popplet.com/

Our resource was based around a science topic which will be taught in year six in order to meet the National Curriculum requirements- the human body. We decided to use popplet as we thought it was a fantastic way of conveying information to a group of children about a topic. We also thought that this is a good resource that children could use in school in order to create a class popplet about a topic in order to share all of their information. The only downside to this resource is that whilst it is free to sign up the user only gets five popplets for free, after that you have to pay in order to use the resource. However it is an excellent resource, and it is a possibility that many schools could sign up to a subscription to use the resource.

The resource we created can be seen below:

http://popplet.com/app/#/1427939

popplet- session 1

Me and Firouzeh decided that we thought our popplet was such as fantastic resource that it should be uploaded to the resource bank, a link to which can be found below:

http://mypad.northampton.ac.uk/resourcebank/2014/02/15/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-circulatory-system/

popplet resource bank

After the session, I decided to further explore some of the resources that we looked at in the session. The first one I decided to explore was morfo, I liked the idea of this application when I decided to download it onto my iphone. I was planning on using one of the many characters that the application came with and using them to retell a story for children. The app itself is very easy to get the hang of and manipulate the character however I was not able to access any other characters that the app came with other than the one that came up automatically, if I wanted to access other characters or additional features I had to pay an extra cost. Although this is the case, I did still think it was a good application to use and I could understand why its use is becoming more popular in schools. An image of what I did manage to create using the application can be seen below:

morfo

Another resource that I had the opportunity to explore is pinterest. After blogging last year, I decided to sign up for a pinterest account as I really liked the idea of the website after viewing Helen’s page. On my pinterest I have created a variety of different boards which are titled by the curriculum subjects. Therefore every time I browse the education category on pinterest I can ‘pin’ teaching ideas or resources onto the corresponding category and then can access them at any time when planning or teaching ideas. I absolute love this resource, I think it is fantastic for any teacher and cannot recommend it highly enough! An image of one of my education pages from pinterest can be seen below:

pinterest page

A directed task for this session was to reflect on the pros and cons of using media in my blog folio.

Pros:

–       Engages the reader

–       Can convey a lot of information using a small amount of space

–       Makes the blog folio aesthetically pleasing

Cons:

–       Can be difficult to add media to the blogs

–       It can also be difficult to manipulate the media around the text in the media

I think it is clear to see that the pros of using media within my blogfolio definitely outweighs the cons, media is therefore something I will continue to use throughout my blog posts as I think it is a fantastic tool to make the blogs look more aesthetically pleasing to the reader.

After my first computing and digital literacy session I also did some extra reading. The first was a prezi presentation created by Helen Caldwell, http://prezi.com/c5qh_uaoxe0p/ict-what-do-teachers-need-to-know/ the presentation is titled ICT: what do teachers need to know? I chose to link at this particular resource because I have seen prezi used on many occasions and think that they are a great way of conveying information in an exciting version of what is essentially powerpoint. The prezi provides information itself about how teachers can use ICT across all subjects that make up the primary National Curriculum. An image of the prezi can be seen below:

prezi

The second piece of extra reading I did, was an insightful article online about how a variety of activities that can be used in the classroom to engage children with digital literacy. Some of the suggestions written by the author include: summarise the media by identifying three to five of its most important events and analyse the structure of the media and determine its impact on its purpose. The web link to the article is: http://www.teachthought.com/trending/50-activities-to-promote-digital-media-literacy-in-students/. An image of the article can be seen below:

article

This concludes this weeks blog post! Hopefully through my blog post I have established the importance of using media within schools as well as the variety of tools that are out there to achieve this!