RE Session Six – Assessing and Reviewing Planning

0

Posted by Katie | Posted in Religious Education | Posted on February 16, 2014

Within any curriculum subject we have to assess the children’s progress and its the same within RE even though it is part of the basic curriculum. The difference here is that this subject is not assessed using nationally imposed learning goals etc, it has the advantage of freedom within the assessment process. Having this freedom can be construed as hindering the credibility of RE with parents and pupils.

Below I have given reasons why RE can be seen to be hindered as it is not assessed in the same way as other curriculum subjects, but also I have displayed how it can be seen as an advantage.

advantage vs hindered

Teachers can assess children in the following ways:

assessing progress

All of these ways are seen to be effective in some way, however when assessing children’s progress the assessment strategy chosen must be appropriate and justifiable.

Within the lesson I looked at three pieces of children’s work and assessed them against the levels used within RE. For two pieces out of the three I found leveling children’s work was quite simple. However, work presented in a certain way was quite difficult to level. I found this quite challenging due to the fact that I marked it quite harshly, therefore I need to become more familiar with the levels and have another go at it.

From my reading I have consolidated my learning in the reasons for assessing children’s progress, therefore here is my findings:

• It aids future planning
  • It identifies any errors, misunderstandings and misconceptions
  • It gives you an insight into what children already know and what they have learnt
  • It helps to record progress
  • It supports evaluations

Here I have just given you a few justifications into why you should assess children’s progress, however there are many more.

Let me know your views of assessment within RE 🙂

Write a comment