RE Session Three – Pedagogy

0

Posted by Katie | Posted in Religious Education | Posted on February 4, 2014

Most of this session consisted of  presenting each groups planned activity based on a pedagogy principle given to us in the previous lesson.

The pedagogy principle given to my group was to use AT2 within our activity. We decided to create a short powerpoint based on the story of Daniel and the Lions Den. This consisted of telling the story to the children,  questioning them about who they believe protects them and then asking them about their views on the question ‘Does God protect us?’ This allows for children to discuss their thoughts and beliefs in a controlled setting where respect is involved.

Here is the powerpoint of daniel and the lions.

Creating this powerpoint allowed me to further my knowledge using the pedagogy principle of AT2 as I was unaware of these principle before the previous lesson. It also allowed me to gain knowledge of the story ‘Daniel and the Lions Den’ as this story was unfamiliar to me before hand. Working as a group to create this activity allowed me to gain more confidence in my subject knowledge through the help of my peers.

Pedagogy is defined as meaning different learning approaches to teaching. Within RE there are six key pedagogies, these include:

• The Phenomena of Religion
  • Experiential religious education: educating the spirit
  • Interpretive RE
  • Concepts for learning in RE
  • Ultimate questions as a focus in RE
  • Pupils’ world views in RE

The above pedagogies have many benefits and limitations, these include:

The Phenomena of Religion – 

This looks at studying Islam through stories, moral behaviour, rituals, beliefs and experiences

the phenomena of religion

Experiential Religious Education: Educating the Spirit – 

This focuses on using the idea that children have some spiritual capacities of their own

experiential re educating the spirit

Interpretive RE –  

This looks at taking an authentic account if the ways members of religions today practice their faith

interpretive re

Concepts for Learning in RE

This approach takes key concepts from the religions as a discipline and enables pupils to be increasingly reasonable about religion

concepts for learning in re

Ultimate Questions as a Focus in RE

This uses ‘big questions’ of meaning, purpose and truth to explore the impact of religion on life, and challenges the learners to deepen their own ideas

ultimate questions as a focus in re

Pupils’ World Views in RE

This focuses on developing answers to human questions, using religious ideas and teachings as a resource

pupils world views in re

It is crucial to incorporate all of these when teaching RE in schools, however it is impossible to incorporate all of these into one lesson. Therefore, these all need to be included within a unit of work to provide children with high quality lessons.

Write a comment