Holly Robertson

http://mypad.northampton.ac.uk/holly/

Vision Statement

Filed under: Uncategorized — Holly at 4:58 pm on Friday, November 7, 2014

“ICT is now an integral element of 21st century life. Whether used for
learning, social reasons or communication, ICT will form a powerful part of the life of the
students ahead.” (Northumberland Academy, 2014).

The statement above is what sums up ICT in this century for me. It is clear to see that ICT is beginning to develop rapidly and that more and more uses for ICT are now being put into place. People are beginning to no longer use pens and paper to write things down, they are sending text messages and emails instead of letters and you can now keep all of your pictures in one place without having to print them off.

Many people think that ICT is not important and that it is just an ‘excuse’ to use laptops, Ipads and cameras. People see ICT as being lazy or just there to make things look ‘good’. When beginning this university course I to did not quite understand why ICT was so important for children and in schools today. It is clear to me now that ICT plays a vital part in the development of children and some of the following factors are why I believe it is important for children to start learning to use ICT in the Foundation Stage and to carry this on the whole way through their schooling.

Within both the National Curriculum and the Early Years Foundation Stage, there is ICT throughout and since these have been renewed it is clear to see ICT coming through more. This is mainly because the change in times and the advances in ICT. It is now an everyday skill to be able to use ICT and children need these skills to develop further in their learning and also to help them in the wider world, outside of school. Both curriculums talk about how ICT should be cross curricular and used across all subjects – not just the designated time for ICT lessons. Instead of the National Curriculum using the term ICT the section is now called computing. They now expect the children to learn about how ICT works and the uses of ICT as well as the programming that goes into this (DfE, 2014).

ICT can be used to help children develop their fine and gross motor skills. If a child chooses to use an Ipad then they will need to learn to use their fine motor skills in order to have control over what they are doing. Games on the Ipad may require a steady hand or little movements and this can greatly support a child’s development of their fine motor skills. Gross motor skills are also developed through the use of ICT such as using big movements on the interactive whiteboard to draw pictures or move things around. The children will not necessarily realise that they are carrying out these movements because they will be having fun and they are not in a PE lesson where everybody is focusing on what they can do (E2BN, 2008). ICT can also be used for recording children’s physical development. Using video recorders and Ipads are very useful for quickly recording children in PE and Dance sessions so that you are able to go back and look at their progress and development (Sharman et al. 2007). When I go into school experience and my future career I will definitely be using ICT as much as I can to support children’s development as I feel that this is really important.

Communication is a vital part of children’s development and in this generation people are beginning to use ICT more and more to communicate. People now use phones, Ipads, Emails and Skype to communicate as well as lots of other methods. Children will need to begin to understand how and when to communicate using ICT and also how to do this safely to ensure that they know who they are talking to and who can access their information if they were to be using things such as social networking sites (NSPCC, 2013). ICT can be used in schools to communicate with other schools in the same county or even in different countries. It can enable children to experience different cultures and to meet new people from different parts of the world but is extremely important that they know not to do this unless they are with an adult and have permission to do this due to internet safety. Caldwell and Honeyford (2014) suggest that technology can support those children with communication, speech and language needs. It can encourage children to talk about what they are doing and to explain how they have done something which can then go onto build on their language skills.

Digital literacy and story telling is something that is now used widely in schools. This can allow children to listen to stories through the use of ICT and also watch stories being read. In advance to this children are now also able to create their own stories using ICT through many different ICT programs and applications. It also allows children to recreate stories and share with the rest of their class what they have done (Cornell University, 2009). Children are now able to write their own stories and add in their own pictures which allows them to personalise their stories. I think that in my future career I would definitely use digital literacy especially for story writing as I believe it allows children to put their own twist onto what they are doing.

ICT is also very useful for children to search for information both with support and independently. Having the internet allows children to find out information instantly as well as finding out information they may not have been able to access before. It once again is extremely important to think about E safety when using the internet and I have seen schools in my experience have a dolphin icon or something similar in the top part of the screen for children to click on if they see something they do not like or want to see. With children being able to access new information it can expand their knowledge and understanding greatly. When i go into schools I will begin to use ICT and the internet to support children to gain new information as I feel that this is very important for them to do to be able to get good experiences and develop their knowledge to the best of their ability ( Simpson et al, 2012).

My Future Career

In my future career as a primary school teacher, I hope to use ICT as much as I possibly can in my teaching time and to use it so that it benefits the children’s learning. My time at university has allowed me to see many interesting and different ways to integrate learning through ICT into the classroom. I have had the opportunity to look at different devices, applications and programs to support children and myself with their learning and development of ICT. I believe that it is extremely important to use ICT as it will greatly benefit the children. When I begin my career I will do my best to keep up to date with ICT and any new devices or programs that are coming out because ICT is developing rapidly. I want to be able to teach the children in my class using ICT so that they are able to learn and develop skills that they can take through their school and work life with them to support them. By having ICT in my future career I hope to give children the chance to experience many different learning styles and activities to support their learning and development across the curriculum. My time at univeristy has given me so many ideas on what I want to do when I go into school and I really cannot wait to start trying the things out that I have learnt. I hope to not only continue to teach children about the uses of ICT but also my self as I believe that this is so important and useful for the new generations life skills.

References

E2BN. (2008). ICT in the Early Years [online]. Available: http://ictearlyyears.e2bn.org/planning4_108.html. [accessed 4th November 2014].

Caldwell, H and Honeyford, G in, Smith, P. Dawes, L (2014). Subject Teaching in the Primary Curriculum. London: SAGE Publications Ltd.

Cornell University. (2009) Digital Literacy Is.[online] Available from: http://digitalliteracy.cornell.edu/. [Accessed 4th November 2014].

Northumberland Academy. (2014). ICT Vision [online]. Available: http://dougbelshaw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/northumberland-ict-vision-final.pdf. [Accessed 3rd November 2014].

NSPCC. (2013). Online Safety [online]. Available: http://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/. [Accessed 4th November 2014].

Simpson, D and Metcalfe, J. (2012) Creating, Processing and Manipulating Information. In: Simpson, D. and Toyn, M. (edited) Primary ICT Across the Curriculum. (2nd Edition) London: Learning Matters. Pp.52-74.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI