Session 2 – Manipulating media: Application

2

Posted by Hannah | Posted in Animation, ICT media in education, ICT media in the classroom, Ideas for resources, Video tools | Posted on February 24, 2013

The main focus of this session was to apply the skills that we developed last week to creating our own book trailer and demonstrating how we could use it within the classroom using a lesson plan.

We began by brainstorming our ideas for the film as although we had already discussed a few ideas we hadn’t written them down and thought about the pros and cons of them yet. Brainstorming gave us an opportunity to think about all of our ideas and as we had borrowed a story sack from the library we decided to use this in front of the green screen to create our book trailer.

After we had filmed our trailer using the flip cameras and then put it onto the computer to begin editing we were unhappy with the result. We felt that it needed to be more realistic in order for it to be enjoyable and I had the idea to go outside to film. The rest of the group agreed and we went outside to get some shots of real settings. This felt much more successful and when we put this on the computer to edit we felt much better about it.

As I had the most experience with using Windows Movie Maker I took charge and began to put the short clips together. After watching what we had as a group we felt that we needed to make the trailer longer and more exciting. Alice came up with the idea of using a red carpet and house as a way of introducing each of the characters.

After filming this and adding it to our movie with the animation effects we began to think about adding sound to the trailer. This was a really difficult task as we had to consider how the timings of both the sounds, movements and clips would fit together. It took us a long time to get this right but eventually we got there and we all felt very proud of our efforts. Alice and I had both said that we really wanted a voice over the top of the video asking questions about what was happening, we had planned the questions and recorded them but when we tried to add the sound to our trailer it did not work. Therefore we decided to use the sound instead of our voices as this made the video more exciting and it would have been very plain without music. This wasn’t possible because the programme we used only allows you to have one layer of sound over the top of the video. When Alice and I reflected on this we said that if we were to do it again we would talk over the video as we filmed it so that we had the questions as well as sound.

Finally we felt that we should have some credits at the end of the trailer so Alice and I took some pictures of the characters so that we had some stills that we could add text to. It took us a while to ensure that the text changed in time with the pictures because the speed of the text and the speed at which the stills changed over needed to correlate and this was very frustrating to begin with. But again we worked together and were able to create a good resource that I feel could be used as a starting point for lessons in the classroom.

Once the video was made we then had to find out how to insert it into our blog. Helen’s screencast was a really useful tool which showed us exactly how to do it. Here is the finished book trailer…

The lesson had already finished by the time we had completed our book trailer but luckily the room was free and we were able to continue working on it. Whilst we had the video on our minds we decided to create a  lesson plan which demonstrated how our resource could be used within a creative curriculum plan. Alice typed this up whilst Ellie and I contributed ideas towards the lesson as I had already spent a long time on the computer creating the video. We planned to introduce the new topic using the video and then the children were to record their responses to it in a number of different ways.

Comments (2)

I really like your idea of using a book trailer to introduce the learning to the children and then encouraging them to produce their own video’s using ICT. However, the children in my class do not have a lot of experience with using devices such as flip cameras or iPads. How do you suggest that I introduce these skills to children prior to them completing this activity?

Hi Becca,
I was very lucky as during my school placement the majority of the class had experienced either iPads or iPhones and therefore most were confident to use them. There are a number of techniques or strategies that can be used to enable children to develop their skills in ICT:

I would argue that children just need some time to explore the tools available to them and quite often they can work out how to use the media quicker than we could!

Make exploration more adult led by giving them questions or small tasks to complete which will help them to find specific tools within the media. For example, “take a picture of something on the playground, can you change the colour of the picture using the ‘kids draw’ app?”

Gradually build up to bigger tasks, doing things in small stages will really help the children to develop their confidence.

I paired up my ‘experts’ with children that weren’t confident in using the ICT tools to encourage them to teach each other, but when doing this you can find that some children will take over and not allow the other child to develop their skills so you do have to be careful with pairings.

There are many more strategies that you could use and tailor to your classes needs, but as I have already said giving them an opportunity to play and explore will enable them to find out for themselves. In addition, YOU need to have a good understanding of ICT media, you do not need to be an expert but a small amount of knowledge will make your teaching much more effective.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Write a comment