Welcome To BA Business Studies, BA Business Studies (Foundation Framework), BA Business and Management (Top Up) and HND Business

Welcome Week Monday 24th – Friday 28th September

Welcome Week is the start of your studies and university life. It is vital you attend Welcome Week as this will give you the best possible start to your studies in the Faculty of Business and Law and your university life generally. Your Welcome Week will include:

• Freshers fair and an opportunity to learn about and join the huge variety of clubs and societies available to you
  • A wide range of social events organised by the student union
  • An opportunity to get to know the campus and facilities available to you
  • Workshops delivered by our Changemaker Team aimed at helping you get on the right track for your personal and career
  • Workshops helping you understand how to study at degree level and how to get the most out of your studies
  • Classes delivered by your programme leader introducing you to your chosen programme
  • A workshop on setting expectations designed to help you understand the roles of students, academics, professional and other staff at the university
  • An opportunity to meet and get to know your fellow students
  • An opportunity to have individual meeting with your personal tutor

The three important things you need to do now:

Make sure you have made arrangements to attend the Welcome Week.                       
Information will be emailed to you directly about the Welcome Week.                                            
Check your Welcome Week Timetable and make arrangements to attend the classes.

Click on the relevant link below

HND Business Studies

BA Business Studies (Foundation)

BA Business Studies Group 1

BA Business Studies Group 2

BA Business & Management (Top-up)

Welcome Video Business Studies BA (Hons)

Welcome Video Business and Management (Top-Up)

Welcome Video HND Business

Your BA Business Studies Deputy Programme Leader

Louise Atkinson

Louise Atkinson

Deputy Programme Leader

Email: Louise.Atkinson@northampton.ac.uk

Your BA Business Joint Honours Programme Leader

Sally Sun

Sally Sun

Programme Leader

Email: sally.sun@northampton.ac.uk

More information and arrange your 1:1 session click here 

Your BA Business Studies Programme Leader

Dr. Chijioke Uba

Dr. Chijioke Uba

Programme Leader BA Business Studies

Email: chijioke.uba@northampton.ac.uk

Your HND Business Programme Leader

Dinusha Boteju

Dinusha Boteju

Programme Leader (HND Business)

Email: Dinusha.Boteju@northampton.ac.uk

Reading Lists & Documents

Resources & Activities

“I really enjoyed this course, the lecturers and tutors are all brilliant and so supportive. While the course content itself is great and covers such a wide range of areas and subjects” Rosy

Graduate, BA Business Studies

“I highly recommend the BA Business Studies Programme. The course allowed me to find out which aspects of business I enjoyed the most, and in my second and third years I was able to tailor my degree to these. The course gave me crucial knowledge about the world of business and has helped me going forward in my career as I can apply to a range of roles. I am so appreciative of all the support I got from the staff and lecturers, as I knew they were always there when I needed them.” Sophie

Graduate, BA Business Studies

“The BA business studies programme has given me the opportunity to explore a lot of different areas of business which has presented many career path opportunities as your not tied down to one subject area. The course is a brilliant overview of the business sector from marketing, corporate social responsibility to management. I have really enjoyed this course throughout my three years and to have obtained a First Class makes me very proud. The staff have been very supportive in my development over the last three years and I couldn’t recommend this course and the fantastic staff enough!” Danielle

Graduate, BA Business Studies

Preparing For Your First Year Of Study

Top five study tips from the Learning Development team!
How can I study successfully at the University of Northampton? Your top five tips from the Learning Development Team:
1. Be Prepared

Becoming a university student requires you to step up your independent learning skills. You need to be able to plan, research and write assignments on your own, which may be something you have not done before. Read through Palgrave's tips for Personal Effectiveness and Independent Study to learn more about the skills you will start to develop as a new undergraduate. 

2. Invest in a planner

Independent learning means that you are in control of your timetable and how you spend your time, so use your time wisely. You will be given times and locations of seminars, workshops and other sessions you have to attend as part of your course at the start. You will also need to allocate time for reading, researching and completing assignments, as well as for all your social activities: get a head start by watching our video What is time management?

3. Fine tune your voice

You might worry that you will not be able to write at the level expected of a university student. At the University of Northampton we take this into consideration and provide lots of support to help you. Go to our online support for academic writing for further guidance. 

4. Get into an argument

Writing critically and developing an argument for your essays and reports is a skill that you will develop throughout your first year of university. Review the guide on how to write more critically to help you understand the process to enhance your critical thinking

5. Know who can help you

Going to university is exciting but it can also be a challenge. We know that students may need a helping hand at any time during their studies, which is why we are here to help. You can book an appointment with a Learning Development tutor for help and guidance with study skills or academic writing, as well as support with maths and statistics. Find out more about the services on offer at the Learning Development page on Skills Hub. You can also find out more about other sources of 1-2-1 help - including our academic librarians - by going to our Study Support page. 

Your Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

Throughout your studies you will be using a VLE. At the University of Northampton we use Blackboard which we have named NILE.

Below is a link directly to our VLE homepage and a quick introductory video for you to watch.

Student Union

Changemaker

Skip to toolbar