Emily Bailey's Blog

Today’s session focused on the use of ICT across the curriculum, it’s important for people to see ICT as a subject that can support learning and not a stand alone subject. A good example of ICT forming a major part of linking the curriculum was ‘Bridgecraft:technology uniting the physical and digital worlds’ the whole school took part completing the Bridgecraft project. Here’s a video of their week:

As you can see ICT is not all about computers it is anything where you can press a button and make something happen.

Helen explained to us all about the different apps and websites that can be used across different subjects. I’ve reviewed and explored some of these…

Google Earth Showcase–> this can be used for children to take different types of special tours including; historical imagery, the ocean, 3d buildings, 3d trees, mars, the sky, the moon, US presidents, climate change, favourite places and liquid galaxy. You can see that these catergories lend themselves to different areas of the curriculum, 3d buildings etc can be linked to mathematics, history can be linked to historical imagery and US presidents, a space topic in science can be benefited from these too. It’s free to download Google Earth so I had a quick look at home.. I toured Paris and Mars!

Google Earth Showcase

Google Earth Showcase

Similarly you can use Street View which is good because you can be in charge of where you’re going and what’s being seen.

Google Maps–> can be used for story telling believe it or not! Bev Evans created the story of The Little Red Riding Hood on Google maps  This, then incorporates Literacy into Geography and ICT by the simple use of one tool. You could also recreate a story from history, for example plotting key points of The Great Fire of London. Another app you can do this on would be scribble mapsThe tool bar to use is easy to use with clear symbols that children could easily understand. It brings together words and story telling.

Picture2

Recce–> This is another tour app, you can fly over and around a city, zooming into landmarks etc. This could help with a the topic of London. This would be good for children who wouldn’t necessarily get the opportunity to see these places. You can take screenshots to use in activities later. For example you could create a class brochure or information book with the children creating a page each for different landmarks.

Recce- click to download

Time-Lapse–> This allows you to record for a long period of time and it speeds it up to a watchable amount of time. You can create your own 60-second make over type video! In Science this could be used for germination, the hatching of a chick, life cycles and much more. On iPhones and iPads the camera has a time-lapse so you’re not necessarily required to purchase an app or anything or you can download the hyper lapse app. With this you’re not just limited to science, you can record the children creating something, a walk around the local community and so much more. Below is a video of a chick hatching, it’s lovely to see the changes happening over time.

Talking Tom and Ben–> This is a really versatile app that you can use for talking about anything and everything. The children would most likely enjoy the funny voices and the animals may appeal to them. You can use them to talk through a recipe (D&T), give a news report on a particular event (this could be from History, from around the word-Geography, or part of a story). You can really have a lot of fun with this app. I’ve included a video of the app being used for musical purposes…

My Cross curricular experience…

During placement 2a I used the programme 2publish on Purple Mash to create a non-fiction book about farm animals with my Reception Class. We were going to be visiting a farm that week and they had been exploring what fiction and non-fiction was so I decided to incorporate technology into their learning, as suggested by my mentor who noticed and discovered I enjoyed ICT. I took the children in small groups to the ICT suite within the school, it was difficult to help all the children as they all struggled with their spelling and finding the letters on the keyboard…on reflection I think it may have been beneficial to get the children to write their sentence and take it with them to copy, I could have also done some work on typing and keyboards with them. I overestimated their ICT skills at this young age. In the end, me running around like a crazy person (on a what turned out to be fractured ankle I might add!), was worth it in the end. Below are some pictures of our non-fiction book. Unfortunately I have the photocopied version as the school kept the colour one but you can see how good the colour one would have looked. Below are a couple of the pages.

Front Cover

Front Cover

The blurb

The blurb

To use this further up the Key Stages you can request that their sentence should have at least 1 adjective etc. there are different options on purple mash that allow more room for more text.

QR codes…

In the next part of the session we worked in pairs with a chosen theme and created a QR code page for other people to easily access and use. What are QR codes I hear you ask? I don’t think I could describe any better than this girl…

I worked with Alyson and we chose the theme of the seaside as this is usually a key theme within the Early Years. The first place we went onto was purple mash and communication 4 all. This is where we decided on our theme.  The first activity we thought about was creating a brochure for a particular seaside, this can incorporate Geography, History, Numeracy, Science and Literacy into one activity depending on what content you put in it.

Click the picture to access the programme

Next we thought about what story we could link this theme to and work on, we chose the story of The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch. We included a QR code that takes you to an interactive online telling of the story that could be used as a hook or accessed by the children during free flow. The video is below:

From the story we thought the children could create a postcard, letter, story page etc. about a character from the story or change the story etc. Using one of the many activities available in the seaside theme. We also discussed how the children, to incorporate science and D&T, could create their own pulleys and levels to deliver the Lighthouse Keepers Lunch. This could be recorded on a time-lapse app or camera and the children could watch themselves creating their pulleys in a matter of seconds. This would be good for formative assessments too.

Our next idea was the children designing their own beach huts on purple mash. It doesn’t allow you to go out of the lines around the beach hut which I think is good for younger children especially. This can be used as part of a design process for the children making their own beach huts (which incorporate D&T too and Literacy if they do a detailed plan beforehand). Or this could form part of a display on the seaside. My poor example is below…(I ran out of time!!) You can also design your own fish, rock pool and deck chairs within the theme.

Click to create your own

Click to create your own

Finally, I had some fun playing with the deep sea diver purple mash cam. Unfortunately the QR code didn’t save my picture or writing so people using our code sheet won’t be able to enjoy that…With this you can put a picture of yourself as a deep sea diver, add your own text in the speech bubble and record yourself speaking as this character. This would be good to use for History (talking about finding hidden artefacts eg. from the titantic), Literacy (to speak as a character from a book), Geography (to talk about where in world you’re diving), Science (discussing what animals you see and classfying them. It could also be good as a summary of the topic, children talking about what they have learned which you can print out to have in their profiles.

We uploaded our QR code sheets onto the Resource Page for other trainees to access and use if they wish to. I decided to try out the scan.me app at home and was amazed and excited when it took me to the right pages…I should have been surprised it actually worked but I was. I think this would be great to use with children, showing how they made a certain piece of art work when you hover over it (good for parents too), talking about a certain place when you hover over the picture. Below is a screenshot of our QR code pages.

Picture3

Teaching Standards

TS3 Have good subject and curriculum knowledge, TS4 reflect systematically on the effectiveness of lessons and approaches to teaching and promote a love of learning and children’s intellectual curiosityTS5 have a clear understanding of the needs of all pupils, including those with special educational needs; those of high ability; those with English as an additional language; those with disabilities; and be able to use and evaluate distinctive teaching approaches to engage and support them, TS6 make use of formative and summative assessment to secure pupils’ progress.

Bibliography

Caldwell, H. ‘Manipulating Media’, in Caldwell, H & Bird, J. Teaching with Tablets (In press). Sage, London.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Find the days..

November 2014
    M T W T F S S
     12
    3456789
    10111213141516
    17181920212223
    24252627282930
  • Find The Month…

• My Flickr Photos

73325_4898093583111_1957494277_n

More Photos