Emily Bailey's Blog

To explore our storytelling more we chose the app Tellegami to interview Batman about his experience saving the day. We took a picture of the Batman figure against a background- we chose a beach theme as Batman likes his identity to be hidden so we thought a secluded scene would be appropriate. At first we found the app quite difficult to use, we were unsure whether you could pause and continue when recording, as it turns out you can’t so it took us several attempts to get it right. Below is our finished product. (I don’t think Hayley would get a job as an enthusiastic reporter somehow and I don’t think I sound too convincing as a modern day hero but it was fun to create!)

I do think this app could be used with young children but I think it would require a lot of supervision- if you set up the ipad and just told them to begin speaking it could work. The finished product would be worth the difficulty, I believe the children would find them being turned into a sort of cartoon character to be very exciting.

As well as an interview tellegami could be used to introduce a story, speak as a character from a story, present real life mathematics problems, speak as a character from history, speak from another town, city, country or planet. it can be used in a PSE activity- a way for children to express their feelings….there are many creative possibilities to be explored.

I found an online article written by Richard Byrne (2013) called ‘A Handful of Ideas for Using Tellegami in School’  some of his were similar to my ideas but there some I hadn’t thought of which shows the adversity of the app:

• Have your character tell a story.
  • Pick a person in history and have them introduce themselves
  • Use a plant cell as the background and have the avatar name and discuss the function of each part of the cell.
  • Recite a famous poem or speech
  • Read a poem they wrote
  • Take a trip or go back in time and describe where the location/time period
  • Speak in Spanish, French, Mandarin or any language

I really liked this quote from the article which I think sums up the apps positives nicely; ‘Using animation with your students can have a profound effect on how they participate in a project. Their work can be liberated when they have the opportunity to separate themselves from the physical world, removing concerns about appearance and general physics. Students who are usually introverted tend to really shine with animation. It makes them feel safer and more willing to “put their work out there.” To quote one of their emails, “It’s Gamilicious!” ‘

To end this post I will leave you with a video which uses tellegami to convey how important technology is and how it can be used by teachers all across the globe. It’s quite long but the first few minutes will give you an insight.

2 Comments so far

1.    Alyson on November 7, 2014 11:18 am      Reply

I really liked the Tellagami app, and the video you have created was interesting :). I do agree that children will need supervision to use the app but feel it will be fun for them to use!

2.    Holly on November 7, 2014 6:29 pm      Reply

I really enjoyed watching your Tellagami! I agree that children may need to have some support but I think they would really enjoy using this app!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

• Find the days..

October 2014
    M T W T F S S
     12345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    2728293031  
  • Find The Month…

• My Flickr Photos

73325_4898093583111_1957494277_n

More Photos