The joys of blogging!

This post aims to serve two purposes. It is partly aimed at meeting the university assignment criteria that this blog was originally set up as part of. This requires proof of “other’s engagement” and I hope this post provides evidence towards this.

But most importantly, this post is to say thank you to everyone who has visited and commented on my blog – I’m glad you have found it useful! Some highlights from outside the blog have included being featured in the ScratchEd Weekly Roundup and being “scooped” as part of someone’s Scoop.it site.

I have also received some great messages on Twitter, alongside being re-tweeted by a whole host of people. This lovely message is one of my favourite:

I think the experience since “going live” has emphasised to me the benefits of blogging. Blogging provides an opportunity to share ideas with the internet and receive comments and feedback from people from all over the world. I can imagine how excited children must feel when someone comments on their blogs and I will definitely comment on different school blogs in the future.

One way that schools can ensure their blogs get the publicity they deserve is through signing up to QuadBlogging.  The QuadBlogging website states that in the last year 100,000 pupils in 40 countries have been involved in the scheme. There is a great video on Youtube that outlines the process: 

Furthermore, my colleague, Lindsay Morris has provided some more insights into Quadblogging on her blog and I suggest you check it out. 

In the spirit of sharing I wanted to finish this post with a song that was recommended by TES SEN on Twitter, who posted a link that contains lots of songs that include Makaton signing. This particular song is being sung by some of the people from Shabang. The TES website states that this could be a great ice-breaker or introductions song, which I think ties in with the theme of this blog update. Plus, I think it’s a really catchy tune that could be used in special or mainstream settings. Enjoy!

2 thoughts on “The joys of blogging!

1. Quadblogging is a brilliant way for children to get first hand experience of other countries, communities and cultures. For children knowing that other children like them, at home and around the world, are interested in their work generates a real buzz, you only have to look at some of their blogs to appreciate that!

2. Thanks for your comment, Linsday.

I think that you have really hit the nail on the head in regards to the potential of blogging in general. Blogs give children a real purpose for their work. Quadblogging supports this by ensuring that this work is rightly recognised by people other than the teacher. I think this is important because it provides such a rich feedback resource and there’s something special about someone other than the teacher recognising the value of a piece of work, don’t you think?

Plus, as you say, through Quadblogging children can learn about other cultures from all over the world. I think this helps children to gain a really good insight into diversity, one that their locality might not provide.

Then, closer to home, school blogs allow busy parents to gain a glimpse into school life, which they can then discuss with their children. I think that this glimpse is much richer than paper newsletters can provide and a really important tool to support home-school links. Do you agree?