Session 5: Mobile Technology – curriculum applications

In this session KerryLindsay and I worked together to produce a lesson using mobile technologies. We decided to combine the idea of a scavenger hunt with using QR codes.

The scavenger hunt was set up around the University campus. The purpose of the lesson is for children to scan QR codes to get a clue about where the next QR code is located, along with a word. Once the children have completed the scavenger hunt they have to re-arrange the words to create a sentence.

This picture shows an example of what would be seen if you scanned the first QR code in our scavenger hunt route.

The rest of the QR codes and corresponding pictures are arranged, in order, in this PhotoPeach spiral. The words have been redacted to avoid spoiling the surprise sentence for you!

The ICT skills required to produce the scavenger hunt are quite simple. You need access to a computer in order to visit www.scan.me to create the QR codes and a QR reader (such as an iPad or iPod touch) to read the QR codes. This animation, made in VideoScribe, summarises the process.

As you can see this is a straightforward process. Combining text and photographs did slightly complicate things, as we had to merge the text and original photographs to create a single image. These then had to be uploaded to Photo Bucket and linked to the QR codes.

However, we have no doubt that children in Key Stage 2 could make QR codes, progressing to embedding quite sophisticated information within them. Classes could make QR code scavenger hunts for each other. For example,  Year 5 could make a Scavenger hunt for Year 1 children using simple audio clues. This would give the Year 5 children a real purpose for their work.

The Year 1 class could evaluate how well the scavenger hunt works. For example, our scavenger hunt may have been easier to set up if we colour coded the order that the QR codes go in (instead of them all looking the same). The order of the colours could be kept secret by the people who made the scavenger hunt.

8 thoughts on “Session 5: Mobile Technology – curriculum applications

• Hello Sarah,

I’m glad you found this post useful. There are lots of uses for QR codes in classrooms and I think this will grow as more schools make use of them and share ideas.

1. What brilliant ideas you have utilised to use QR codes. I wasn’t familiar with QR codes until our session in ICT and I really found your blog information interesting. Also the animation used in Videoscribe to explain the process is also a valuable tool and one that I will definitely refer to again and put into practice with the children.

• Hello Treena,

I’m glad you found this blog post informative. Like you, I had not really considered the practical uses of QR codes before our session. I agree that they have many applications for classroom use across the primary phase.

I am glad you liked the Videscribe video. I think this is a really great iPad app, which is well worth the cost! It could be used for so many things in the classroom right across the curriculum, for example tutorials (like my example), to create stories, to present poetry etc.

2. An excellent idea with the QR codes. I do love how I’ve managed to appear in your photot! Thanks for that. I also adore the PhotoPeach. Excellent post Chad. Sarah x

• Hello Sarah,

Glad you enjoyed the blog post. We thought the title of the video on the monitor was appropriate for a scavenger hunt! 😛

PhotoPeach really is very good and so easy to use. You can use it to make a spiral of photographs (like above) or slideshows of pictures. Some really funky music is available on the site to add to your picture shows as well. Plus, it’s free to sign up to use!

3. I really like the idea of creating a QR code scavenger hunt. I can really see how these could be used in all different areas of the curriculum and they would make a really fun, active lesson.

• Thanks for your comment, Katherine.

I’m glad you like the idea! I think it has lots of potential because, as I said in the post, children could make them for other classes and this would provide a real life purpose for the skills they have developed in ICT lessons.

The example provided in this post is a generic one; however, I agree that they could be used across the curriculum in a multitude of different ways. For example, a QR code scavenger hunt in Mathematics might focus on children finding answers to different mathematical puzzles whilst one in English could provide clues for a story.