Where English, History and ICT meet

This week in our core English session we looked at Where the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker, who also wrote the fabulous book Window.

The next part of this blog post contains spoilers  so if you haven’t read the book buy it now from here, or here or any good bookshop!

As the blurb on the back of the book states, this story helps to bring together the past, present and give predictions for the future of a beach in North Queensland, Australia. I thought that it would be a great idea if the same sort of thing could be done for our locality. Then I remembered I’d spoken to someone from English Heritage at the Midlands History Forum last weekend who recommended the use of HistoryPin as a way to physically see how our locality has changed.

There are some very useful features built into the HistoryPin website. For example, you are able to select different localities to view in Google Street View and then fade in and out between different time periods. The calendar features allows you to select a date range to focus on finding images from.

Currently, the site is lacking in pictures. Some locations have many more available than others, with some places only having a handful available. This is a shame; however it will hopefully improve as more people add more images to the site.
The most common words in the HistoryPin "About Us" section

The word cloud in this blog post (made using Wordle) gives you a snapshot of what HistoryPin is about (it’s made up of the most commonly used words from HistoryPin’s about page).

You can also watch this short video to find out more.

2 thoughts on “Where English, History and ICT meet

1. I really liked the HistoryPin website. This would be a really useful resource for the classroom for all subject areas. I have never heard of this site before and shall try it out at home and possibly use it in our next placement. It is always helpful to share new ideas and resources so THANK YOU.

2. Hello Kerry,

I’m glad that you have found this post insightful. I agree that sharing resources is a really positive thing to do and I think blogs are a great way to do this.

HistoryPin really does look like a fantastic website and I think it has so much potential for enhancing the curriculum. In History children could look at how their local area has developed over time, in Geography they might consider why places change and in English they could write an information text about an old fashioned shop that no longer exists on the high street.