Why be ordinary when you can be brilliant?…………..Life got in the way, the time wasn’t right, the situation wasn’t right, the finances weren’t there, so getting into the University of Northampton to study nursing at my age was a big deal. It’s what I had dreamed of and now I have the opportunity to shine and prove to the world just how brilliant I want to be.

The concept of” Being Brilliant” isn’t difficult to understand. It’s woven into our course curriculum from the very beginning teaching us to make positive choices, being mindful and aware, representing nursing students in a good light and being the best we can be. The Being Brilliant team have enabled the student nurses to share their experiences and consider other ways of being the best we can be. We are developing our emotional intelligence and understanding the impact we have on others and more importantly the impact they have on us. We have learned to identify the “mood hoovers” in our lives, the people who suck any positivity out of life, and in turn seek out our own inspirational role models. Being brilliant is about always doing the right thing even when nobody is there watching you!

As a nursing cohort we have shared our inspirational quotes and experiences with each other, we have laughed, cried struggled and supported each other. We have travelled to London to visit the museum dedicated to Florence Nightingale one of nursing’s all time heroes, and we have listened to the Being Brilliant team encouraging and inspiring us to shine. Being a nurse will not be easy of that I am 100% sure, but one thing that will never leave my thoughts is……..why would I even consider being ordinary when I can be brilliant?

Jo Featherstone, March 14