- To explore a range of textile techniques in small groups
- To make correlations between traditional and contemporary textile methods
- To design and make a piece of 3d textile art in relation to your film document this on your blog
- To consider continuity and progression of textile art in the primary school from the role of a subject leader
- Use the work of other artists to inform the development of your own artistic practice and discuss this via your blog
This session took the form of a textiles workshop where the students rotated round a range of activities which focused on different artistic techniques which could be used to enhance textile skills.
Some of the techniques explored included:
– The creation of plastic textile fabrics by weaving and layering plastic bags, then fusing the plastic by ironing on top to add heat.
-Creating a series of mock outfits using only pins, fabric and mannequins this encouraged consideration of design and techniques such as wrapping, twisting, knotting.
– Weaving as a basis for design- exploring how a range of materials can be combined utilising different woven methods.
Here are a few examples:
The students are now creating their own 3d textile garment which responds to the film they are exploring through their personal artwork.