This years theme for the art specialism sessions is cinematic art, we will be looking at the relationship between multi-sensory technologies, art practice and education. We will unpick key areas such as visual culture, multi-sensory culture, visual literacy, cine-literacy and explore their relationship to arts education in both personal art practice and schools.
- Interpret the roles and practices of different artists creating installation art across different times and cultures
- Understand the benefits and implications of 3dimensional and installation art in the new primary art curriculum
- Explore how 3d activities can be made accessible to a range of learners SEND, EAL, consider safety implications and the promotion of positive behaviour.
- Create a combined box installation drawing on your experiences of combining art and cinematics
Part 1: Introduction to the course and overview of the assignment- refer to NILE for this information. Discuss group blogs.
Part 2: Explore the Turner Prize 2014: What developments are occurring in contemporary installation art? Is there a fundamental shift in current art practice accommodating digital developments?
Define the differences between 3d work and installation art in relation to the art national curriculum.
Task: Share current ideas about your chosen film to explore through your art practice with the group. What key themes emerge through your film which may be interesting avenues to explore in relation to primary education?
Create a 3d box installation about your film sharing your key concepts and ideas about themes you may wish to address throughout this module in both your own art practice and educational experiences. Discuss as a group key ideas to include….
Artists/ case studies to explore:
Joseph Cornell Explore innovative ways in which he has approached box sculpture.
Article: Collins, N. (2014) Artist Studies; a new perspective. AD magazine. NSEAD. Issue 11, pp.17-19
Explore how artists and films can be explored creatively: a new approach for critical studies?
Part 3: Reflect on todays session
1) Critically reflect on how this session could be approached in the primary school, what would it enable children to learn? How does it fit into the new curriculum for art and design?
2) Identify how these installations could be explored with children in school. Focus on how 3d and installation work can be made accessible to a range of learners. Explore SEND and EAL; consider safety implications and how to promote positive behaviour.
3) Critically reflect on how this session could be approached in the primary school, what would it enable children to learn? How does it fit into the new curriculum for art and design?
Next session: Multi-media image manipulation- bring along an image inspired by your film addressing a key theme. This could be something from your box construction which you would like to develop to communicate a particular educational issue raised by your film. If possible try to bring this in both a physical copy and a digital form (e.g. on an iPad or usb).