Digital Art

Film Making on the Computer

After fully exploring the possibilities of creating the film for our art projects I fancied writing a quick post about how baffling it may seem to begin with, and different software.

From the perspective of an avid Microsoft user my progress in the lesson was incredibly appalling that I ended up feeling the only solution was to actually get used to using an I-pad and navigating around it- and so found myself on a drawing app and spend the last leg of the lesson figuring out the collaboration on the gizmo by drawing a face.

It took a while.

From the results of this lesson I had pretty much abandoned the wild ideas to create my film on the apple software, as I had originally planned to widen my skill repertoire, and decided to create it using my Windows Gear.

Further investigation of apple ‘iMovie’ would have to wait until after deadlines.

I’m certain you’ve all heard of Windows Media Player?
I used it a little in year 8 I think, and I’m glad to say it has updated itself recently and so functions much better and creates better results.

So this is what I used.

It is certainly laid out in a way I find easier to function than the one we used in class- please all apple users give me your opinion on this in any comments below!
I found myself very baffled at being given places to enter images with chosen themes and pre-timed ideas.
I couldn’t function the ‘enter music’ section and by far felt more comfortable with the clearly labelled drop-down options!

imovie

So which would be best to use in the classrooms?
I know these days children have the opportunities to use both the apple and the windows, what with schools starting to collect ipads for children to use alongside their computing learning.

While the iMove on the iPad is much more portable, and children would be able to complete the film as they explore the school or outside, the computer program is just as important for them to learn. Despite the more frequent appearance of apple, many educational providers still use mostly PC for their digital learning.

Please add to the debate of apple vs windows for use in the primary school: 
A valuable opportunity for me giving into my uselessness at it is very needed!

One Comment

on “Digital Art
One Comment on “Digital Art
  1. You raise an interesting debate here and your feedback is very useful to consider the differentiation needed in a film making session. This is something I will look into adapting next year, perhaps showcasing a range of film making software to work with and looking at different levels of expectation and challenge for different users in their film creation. This is also as you raise something important to do in the classroom with children especially with children being exposed to a range of software Apple and Microsoft or others at home, our classes are filled with a range of skills so we must now look at how to utilise them all. Your feedback is really appreciated to develop the course next year- as for your debate, as an Apple user myself I find the apple iMovie interface easier to navigate, you can easily select music from your iTunes libraries and I feel the program scaffolds well with the trailer option. However, this also took some time to learn and get use to. I would advise all new film makers to persevere, experiment and chose a program which works for you.