Cross Curricular

October 20, 2014 | 2 Comments

In the beginning of today’s session we were at the cross curricular use of ICT; we discussed using ICT to help support the teaching of Science, Geography and History. Here were some of the ideas that were shared in today’s session:

cross curricularScience – Using time lapse, of a similar app/program to watch the growth of a seed, or shadows moving across the playground, or to record the life cycle of a butterfly. We also discussed the use of media to create weather reports, books on scientific topics (such as, life cycles) and we also discussed using media to create a set of instructions for a recipe (which could be closely linked to algorithms).
Geography – The main focus for Geography was the use of maps, including: Google Maps, and Google Earth. Scribble maps and The Big Day Out were also said to be good for using with children when learning about maps. Other good apps to use related to geography could include: the compass and world atlas.
History – The green screen was one of the things I would like to use most, particularly linked to history, as I think that using the green screen would really bring history to life. Morpho was also another app mentioned when trying to make history come alive, and I used this app later on in the session. Story telling apps and programs would also be good to tell stories of then and now.

I found a great website called Apps 4 Primary Schools, which demonstrates lots of different apps that can be used in lots of the curriculum subjects.

For the remainder of the session, we were all looking at collecting resources based around a specific theme. Some themes chosen byfire works other groups included; Rememberance Day, and the Seaside. Myself and Sarah M, chose to do the theme ‘Fire Work Night’. We looked through Purple Mash to find some interesting resources related to Fireworks. One resource that I particularly liked on the Purple Mash site was related to writing a Poem about Guy Fawkes; this resource had words that could be used to give hints on what to write, and there were also pictures that could be added before the children printed their poems. I also liked the firework paint resource, as this would be brilliant for making firework images that could be displayed around the classroom. We also looked at the Infant Encyclopedia related to Bonfire Night.  There was also an interesting video on the BBC website, along with some interesting facts. I also came across a Disney Firework creator, children would be able to create their own firework show on this webpage. I found this could be linked closely with algorithms in computing, as it is linked with a sequence of instructions.
I had never used the Morpho app before, and neither had Sarah M, so we thought we would give it ago, and relate it to our Firework Theme. Below is our Morpho of Guy Fawkes:

If we had had more time in the session, we would have used the Green Screen alongside the Morpho app, to create something slightly different. I would definitely consider using this app in the classroom in the future, in History and in other subjects. I like that when using the Morpho app, you are not restricted with what image you use, and there are clear and simple instructions on how to create a Morpho. I think this app can really make learning come to life, and it is enjoyable making and using the Morpho.

QR Codes:
Morpho QDI have not thought to use QR codes in the classroom before, as prior to today’s session I thought QR codes would be difficult to make, and therefore would not have considered them. However, when using Scan.Me, you are able to create QR codes extremely quickly, and it is very easy to do.
Before today’s session, I would not have known how or why to use QR codes in the classroom, however, I now know the benefits of using QR codes in the classroom.
Benefits of using QR Codes:

• If any children in the class are unable to read, the child would still be able to access resources online using the QR codes.
  • QR codes are much quicker to use, than typing in a web address. You simply scan the code, and the website opens straight away.
  • Teachers would be able to print out their QR codes, with a short description, and children would be able to have access to these codes whenever they like.
  • Teachers would easily be able to update their QR codes, and it would be much easier than updating a list of web addresses.
  • The QR codes are adaptable, and can be used for interactive purposes, for example: on displays, which makes them fun to use as well as educational.

An idea for using QR codes in the classroom, was to create a resource sheet for children to work from. The sheet would contain some QR codes, with a short description, for the children to use during independent work. Here is the link to my resource sheet created in today’s session: Guy Fawkes QR Sheet. This resource has also been shared on the Resource Bank. The QR codes could also be used on a regular basis in the classroom, not just for topic work, which is something I am keen to experiment with in the classroom in the future

.

Further Reading:
I came across an interesting article written by a BBC reporter, about iPads in the classroom. The article discusses how iPads can bring education to life; through interactive and engaging technology. The article discusses the different tools that children would benefit from on a daily basis, for example: thesauruses and dictionaries, iBooks, camera, audio and video recorders.
The article then goes on to discuss a school in Cornwall, where every child and member of the teaching staff (including Teaching Assistants) have an individual iPad. The children and staff are allowed to take their iPads home and use them on a personal basis as well as using the iPads in the classroom. The benefits for the teachers were based around the constant and improved communication with other staff, and also parents and children. For example: homework could be emailed rather than being brought to school, and teachers are able to share information and resources quickly and easily. Teacher’s also like being able to take the register with an iPad, and this also means they have easy access to all registers in the event of an emergency.
The iPads benefitted the children in the classroom too, because they had unlimited access to school downloaded apps, and could receive immediate feedback on quizzes and other online tools. Children are getting used to checking work before handing it in, through using the online dictionaries as well as being able to share information easily when completing group tasks. The children use their iPads in class for: internet research; making videos; taking notes during class; live debates and discussion forums; revision; class blogs; art classes; making music; and also for talking to children in schools abroad.
There are several negatives to children all having iPads in the classroom, for example: some of the teachers have complained about children being distracted by their iPads and often going off task. Other complaints have been related to children forgetting their iPads and children not having access to a spare iPad if their iPad was in for repair.
The school is very clear that the use of iPads in the classroom has not completely replaced worksheets and exercise books. The school believe that they have a balance between technology based work, and traditional work.
Click here, for some another interesting BBC articles related to computing.

Reflections:
This session was extremely interesting and engaging for me, I enjoyed the session and think that I have learned a great deal about cross-curricular resources. Today’s session has opened my mind to the ways in which technology can be used to support cross-curricular learning, and the use of  QR codes in the classroom. I have learned the benefits of using QR codes with children, and have gained valuable experience of using QR codes to make learning more interactive.

Teaching Standards: Ts3

2 Comments so far

1.    Emily on October 31, 2014 11:03 am      Reply

I think Morpho is so clever, I didn’t get chance to use it but yours looks great and with more time for green screening it would be really effective. There are so many resources related to a bonfire theme that you’ve found, I’ll definitely be saving your QR codes for future use, I especially like the disney firework creater- thank you!

2.    Sophie on November 7, 2014 5:36 pm      Reply

I love the idea of using the time lapse apps to record the lifecyle’s in science. For this kind of activity, I would normally look to Google or YouTube to find a video, but I think it would be brilliant to be able to record plants or butterflies etc. that the children actually have in their setting for them to link to!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind