Internet Safety

March 26, 2013 | 1 Comment

Today’s session was on internet safety, and the different ways that children should and can be protected from the internet. Before this session I believed that internet safety focused on children not speaking to stangers and keeping their information safe online, however there is much more to it than this.

Before this session, I always thought that internet safety was more about the safety of the older children. I thought internet safety was about teaching children how to keep their information safe online, and warning children about the dangers of chatting to people online. I never really considered the fact that young children also need protecting from the dangers of the internet.

There are different sites and ways to protect children and teach them about internet safety. the thinkuknow website has several videos that will help to teach children about the dangers of the internet, in a way they are able to understand. For example; the video below. There are videos that tell children about keeping information safe, talking to strangers and about the help they can get when they are unhappy with something on the internet.

There are so many other programmes that can be used to protect children when using the internet. For example; there is a programme that can be downloaded, which allows children to press a picture of a dolphin if they come across something on the internet if they do not like. A picture then covers the screen until an adult is present. However much teachers and practitioners try to protect children on the internet, there is no secure way of protecting them 100%, therefore programmes like this are the next best thing in protecting and safeguarding children on the internet.

When learning about the internet, children need to be made aware of all the dangers that using the internet brings. Children should be taught about safeguarding their information, not talking to strangers and where they can go for help and guidance. But they should also be taught about cyber-bullying, and the dangers and consquences that cyber-bullying can have. Children should feel comfortable when using the internet, and know that there is help available whenever they need it. I also believe it is important for parents to be educated about internet safety.

During the session we also discussed protecting ourselves, and how our online profiles could effect our future careers. We all googled ourselves, and many of us were able to find our pictures or our social networking sites through google. Many of us have now changed our settings on our personal social networks, so there is no information available to the general public.

Reflection: after today’s session I have realised the importance of internet safety, not only for children but for the teachers and practitioners too. I will ensure that in the future I will safeguard the children I teach to the best of my ability. I will also ensure that my personal information is kept as private as possible on the internet, to protect myself for future employment reasons.

Further reading: after searching the internet, I have found many different sites that are there to offer information to teachers and parents about internet safety for children. Many of the sites say how easy it is for children to access something inappropriate on the internet, for example: one website says if a child wanted to search ‘lego’, with one letter incorrect, a child could search the word ‘legs’, and quickly be in an uncomfortable position. On the Department for Education website it says that February is the National Internet Safety month. According to the Safer Internet Organisation the safer internet day took place on the 5th February this year.

I research some statistics about Internet safety and came across some quite distrubing figure on the Guard Child website. The following statistic were taken in 2012.

• 90% of children ages 8-16 have seen online pornography.
  • 65% of 8-14 year olds have been involved in a cyber-bullying incident.
  • 12% of teens have already been bullied online (only 6% of parents knew).
  • 31% of children ages 12-18 have lied about their age to access a social networking site.

Statistics like this show that Practitioners still have work to do when it comes to protecting children from the dangers of the internet, and shows that parents still need educating on how to protect their children on the internet.

1 Comment so far

1.    Sophie on April 2, 2013 12:16 pm      Reply

I am just looking at your statistics and can’t believe the high percentages that you have! I would never have thought they would be that high. This shows the importance of keeping children safe on the internet.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind