Decision Trail FMP

Play Therapy

After further research into cognitive behavioural therapy I found that it is most commonly used to treat depression and anxiety which I feel is more of an adult theme. When looking into alternative therapies that involve children I came across ‘Play Therapy’.

Play therapy allows children to express their feelings and situations that have caused unwanted feelings at their own level; they can use play rather than being sat and questioned by a therapist. Some children find communicating verbally hard so by using this type of therapy it allows all types of children to express and learn. In the sessions there will be a variety of toys for the child to choose from to play with; to express themselves. There are two different types of Play therapy; Non- directive where the child has complete control of the play and Directive where the therapist guides the child.

Play therapy can be used for children that are of four years or older which is ideal for the age range that I would like to design for.  I feel I can relate to this topic in a way as when I was a young child I attended speech therapy. In those sessions I was given toys to play with to get me to talk to the therapist; these toys helped me to feel comfortable in the environment. The toys I played with included; puzzles, building blocks and word cards. The aim of toys in the speech therapy was to make me feel comfortable with the therapist and hep me to speak to them.

The use of toys in play therapy is similar as the child need to feel safe and comfortable in the environment and allows them to communicate at their own level.