Decision Trail FMP

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

I have decided that I want to design for children for my Final Major project as I feel strongly about this area; I feel I will be able to produce something that will keep me interested as I enjoy the topic. More specifically I will design for young children somewhere between the age of four and eight years of age as it appeals more to me. After looking into different user groups to do with children I have been looking into different psychotherapies; these are types of therapies that can help alter and change children’s behaviours. I found the topic of cognitive behavioural therapy:

‘Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave.’

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy changes the way the child looks at their problems through talking. It can’t eliminate the problem completely but it opens up their minds to a different perspective; creating a more positive way of thinking. CBT is not used to deal with issues from patients past but to deal with current issues they deal with day to day. CBT can be used to treat many different conditions such as anxiety, depression, phobias and behavioural problems.