Article: Technology in Early Childhood: Advice For Parents and Teachers

There is an article online discussing the age at which technology is appropriate, when it is appropriate and how it can be used within the classroom as well as at home and in other settings.

Technology in Early Childhood: Advice For Parents and Teachers

I particularly like this quote:

“Technology should not be an isolated activity, but should instead become part of the daily classroom routine, enhancing and expanding lessons”

This really hits home about the importance of integrating ICT into the classroom, rather than trying to teach it is a separate subject. Due to the fact that ICT can support children in all areas, it should be integrated into the cross-curricular curriculum.

ttt

However, it does speak about the different types of ICT, for example screen media where children are passive watching TV, and hands on media such as photography where children are involved and learning from what they are doing. I agree with this, as I do believe that television is an easy option to keep children quiet and occupied. However, in school ICT needs to be judged as to whether this will be the most beneficial task to children at the time, or whether a non-ICT based activity would suit better to the needs of the child at the time.

Overall, the article makes some really good points about ICT being very beneficial for children, as long as the teachers and parents ensure they are using it to enhance learning rather than just having it there as another option for children to use.

For me, this is an interesting article, due to the fact in University, even on the blank lesson plans we are being told to try and fit ICT into all areas of the curriculum to enhance the lessons, and although I agree with this, the article makes me question whether I am adding the ICT element to make the lesson look better, and whether the children will actually benefit anymore from using the ICT. When I go into my next school experience, this is something I am really going to have to think about when planning ICT within my sessions.

6 thoughts on “Article: Technology in Early Childhood: Advice For Parents and Teachers

1. This post gave me lots to think about, my current setting has an allocated session for ICT, with all of the computers in a separate room; only an interactive whiteboard in the classroom so it will be interesting to see how they link ICT into the rest of the curriculum. Thanks for sharing 🙂 x

2. I agree, that will be interesting! I am hoping to really look at how ICT is taught in this placement, if at all, and whether it is taught separately or simply linked throughout the rest of the curriculum. This article really made me think 🙂 x

3. I think the key difference is between passive media and interactive uses of ICT. Watching film clips can be a great way to support learning but I think we just need to be careful of an over-reliance on it. In my placement I will be showing a sped-up video of caterpillars turning into butterflies so children know what to look out for; then we will be hatching real ones and watching them grow and change!

4. That’s exactly what I thought when reading this Alex. Video clips can be a great teaching aid for children, but they are simply watching so we need to think carefully about how much time they spend passively watching material, and how much time they are actively involved in other areas of ICT. However, your activity sounds lovely, and the children will clearly benefit from this!

5. …’makes me question whether I am adding the ICT element to make the lesson look better, and whether the children will actually benefit anymore from using the ICT.’ I could not agree with you more on this! sometimes you feel as if you find anything, even if it is not the most effective resource. ICT should be used when necessary and when it actually develops the children’s learning.

6. Thank you Colbie. It does worry me that we may be using less effective resources purely to add an ICT element into sessions! Really thinking about that while on placement at the minute!