My 6 Top Online Tools for Primary Classrooms

1. Storyjumper

Storyjumper is a great presentation tool. You can create your own ebooks by adding text, props, scenes, or your own pictures. Here’s one I made earlier:

Click to view the full book

Storyjumper would be a brilliant tool for writing up short stories or character descriptions in class BUT I think you would need to be wary of the amount of time that could be wasted on it. I found that I spent a long time browsing through the different props and scenes, and no doubt any child using the site would do the same.

2.  Glogster:

Glogster is a great tool for presenting your ideas. You can make an interactive poster by embedding video, sound and images. I can see, again, that this could take up a lot of time in class as children browse the large number of ‘graphics’ and backgrounds that come with the tool. However it would be great to use cross-curricular and, as a teacher, you could make a more visually stimulating presentation of key information.

3. PrimaryPad

PrimaryPad is a “web-based word processor designed for schools that allows pupils and teachers to work together in real-time.” When different children type it comes up in different colours and there is also a ‘chat box’ at the side so they can discuss their writing as they go along. It would be a good tool for collaborative work and there is a time slider so you can see how the writing has evolved and assess the children’s progress.

4. Popplet

Popplet is a fantastic tool for brainstorming in the classroom. It can be used in almost any subject to link ideas and theories. My example below is based on character description in literacy lessons but the possibilities are endless.

5. Wallwisher

Wallwisher is an online noticeboard on which anyone can post a comment. These comments can then be rearranged and ordered so it makes it a great tool for planning or story analysis. You can collect ideas as a class then work together to decide what should go where. We’ve been using it on the PGCE course to post any problems we’ve been having with our blogs and then providing answers for other peoples problems:

6. Wordle

Wordle generates word clouds from the text you provide. The more frequently a word appears in the text, the more prominence it will have in the Wordle image. It’d be a good tool for creating covers for class books or word clouds of different descriptions or key words. Here’s a Wordle that I’ve made using the text from this blog:

Thankyou to Helen and her informative blog on online tools for bringing these to my attention.

One thought on “My 6 Top Online Tools for Primary Classrooms”

1. Wow Rosie! What a great post! I love that you’ve thought about how the tools can be used in the classroom and that you have embedded your own examples. I agree that it can really motivate pupils to put pictures of themselves in StoryJumper, (even if they look like a boy!), but as you say, you need to balance the amount of time it takes to make the illustrations with the writing objectives. Glad to see you got to grips with Glogster and that your Popplet illustrates how you could brainstorm adjectives describing a book character.