After today’s session we were directed towards an interesting article; Do young children need access to computers as much as they need to play with sand and water? by  Preston, C. and Scott Baker, M.. The article firstly discussed the new National Curriculum which was brought in, in September 2014, and how ‘ICT’ is no longer taught as just learning how to use different technologies but has been renamed ‘Computing’, where children will learn how to program in addition to being able to use technology. Preston and Scott Baker discuss the need for professionals to have continuing professional development (CPD) to ensure that they are able to deliver successfully the necessary curriculum to the children. The article looks at some of the potential reasons why teachers are reluctant to teach computing;

• E-safety considerations;
  • Poor quality of equipment and internet support;
  • Unreliable administrative systems;
  • Clashes between interoperable systems;
  • Lack of appropriate formal or informal CPD.

As a trainee teacher I can relate to many of these reasons why teaching computing can be daunting, especially when technology becomes unreliable. I can relate to this having had problems with technology within my own teaching placements. I also feel that E-safety is of up-most importance  especially within today’s society, and my fear of it being pushed to the side with the new curriculum as more focus is on how the software is made rather than how to use it.

The article summarizes the fact that there is a potential for the new curriculum to empower children to become independent learners as well as being able to learn collaboratively at an early age.

The article has definitely given me food for thought and how it is important for children to be able to learn how software is made, which in my opinion I feel is good for children as they are able to keep up-to-date with software as it is forever changing, which gives children the opportunity to learn life-long adaptable skills.

9353062-cartoon-smiling-desktop-computer-vector-illustration

photo (4)

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind