NKH's ICT Blog

Just a girl from Manchester trying to get a good career :)

ICT within PE

Filed under: ICT in PE — Nicola-Kate at 11:24 am on Monday, November 5, 2012  Tagged , , , ,

As a PE specialist I know we have focused on the use of ICT as a tool for assessment a lot! Have other specialisms? Some people may disagree, some may agree but I think using ICT for assessment (formative) in PE is fantastic! Especially for those teachers who do not feel very confident in teaching PE let alone assessing it!

Imagine having to assess a class of 30 children in PE just from memory, lengthy process (Giles et al, 2003)?? Pretty daunting! But, with the use of ICT all your worries can be put aside! There are many ways in which teachers can use ICT to assess PE: the main aspect being video recording. Teachers’ can record children carrying out skills and techniques in any aspect of PE; they can then watch the video’s back as many times as they need to, to make their final assessment. You may be thinking “but wouldn’t this take a lot of time?” Well, yes…it would, that’s why you can get the children to work in partners and record each other, then give feedback! So as well as using ICT for assessment, it promotes TALK, constructive feedback, evaluations and recognising areas for development (Tearle & Golder, 2008). As well as, peer assessment and self assessment :). The benefits are endless!! More importantly, it promotes inclusion in the classroom! If you have a child in your class that cannot participate in the day’s PE lesson; they can act as a teacher for the lesson and record children and give constructive feedback.

I have used ICT to assess PE lessons in school and it makes assessment so much easier, and fun for the children as they can see themselves performing skills! Using technology offers the children new opportunities for the learning and development of understanding and making a valuable contribution to understanding the range and purpose of the activities (Bailey, 2001).

Not only does ICT offer advantages for assessment but it can also be imperative for modelling and demonstrating! Some teachers’ may not feel comfortable modelling or demonstrating a skill they are unfamiliar with. With the use of ICT they can access the internet and search for videos online to demonstrate what they expect of the children. Obviously, it can not be used as an alternative to teaching, but can be used as an aid (Bailey, 2001)!

I remember in our PE specialism lessons we were shown a video of Jonathan Edwards executing the triple jump! I tried to find the video we used but I couldn’t! I did find one though that I thought could be used in schools’ as it is in slow motion πŸ™‚

Swimming is an area that is very difficult to show children the techniques of strokes so I have included some links to videos that I found useful when researching for an assignment. I like the videos as it has commentary of how to execute the stroke (even though it is American) and then he demonstrates the strokes as well.

Backstroke

Breaststroke

Frontcrawl

Hopefully you found this blog useful πŸ™‚

References:

Bailey, R (2001). Teaching physical education. A handbook for primary and secondary school teachers. London. Kogan Page Limited.

Giles, E., Pitre, S., Womack, S. (2003).[Online] Multiple intelligences and learning styles. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/ [Accessed on 26/02/12]

Tearle, P and Goldeer, G (2008). β€˜The use of ICT in the teaching and learning of physical education in compulsory education: how do we prepare the workforce of the future?, β€˜European journal of Teacher Education, 31: 1, pg 57.

10 Comments »

Jenny

November 6, 2012 @ 12:19 pm   Reply

I have only used tracking before to assess P.E so this is great for giving me some new ideas of how to assess. Thanks.

Nicola-Kate

November 6, 2012 @ 12:29 pm   Reply

Thank you Jenny, I am pleased you found my blog useful.

Claire

November 7, 2012 @ 9:50 am   Reply

This is a great idea Nicola. My question about it though is during which lesson did the children view their performances? Was it during the following PE lesson or just when you could fit it in? and did this interrupt other learning/planned activities at all?

I really like the idea of using ICT for assessment. It can also be shown during parents evenings and open days/evenings. In History (my specialsim) we haven’t done anything on using ICT for assessment (as far as my brain recalls) but I think it could be extremely useful for analysing and assessing their understanding and abilities during role play/drama work – both in History and Literacy, and can also be used to record any group or individual presentations they do. The child/chidren can even be given copies of it to look at in the privacy of their home to evaluate for themselves their own performance in terms of engagement with audience, body language, clarity of speech etc, something they would not be able to do for themselves very easily otherwise.

Nicola-Kate

November 7, 2012 @ 10:06 am   Reply

Hi Claire, the children viewed their performances at the end of the lesson (as it was planned into the lesson plenary) and we then had a class discussion where the partner would say one thing they liked about the performance and one thing that they could improve on (peer assessment). Then at the start of the next lesson they each had time to improve their skill with feedback from the last lesson and assess themselves as to whether they think they improved their performance (obviously with teachers’ input as well. πŸ™‚ It didn’t interrupt any learning or planning as it was planned into the timing of the lesson as it was at the end of the term for that particular sport.

I like your idea on how ICT can be used in History and Literacy (I’ve mentioned that in my talk assignment haha). The videos could be emailed to parents who have an email address so they can see how their child is developing.

Thanks for your comment.

Claire

November 21, 2012 @ 10:43 pm   Reply

It sounds like the ICT could be used very effectively for assessment and focus purposes. I must admit I have found it very difficult on placements trying to assess where each child is at. Using ICT would make it so much easier.

I did use ICT on my 2a placement at the beginning of their gymnastics work. I showed them two videos, one was Beth Tweddle performing a floor routine and the other was an American male (sorry name escapes me now) also doing a floor routine. It was amazing how many boys were going on about gymnastics being for girls when I showed the first video and then quite literally eating their words when I showed them the second one. I got them in pairs to discuss all the movements the gymnasts were making to make their routines look great and to let us know they were gymnasts – looking for stretching, pointing, reaching, balancing etc – and I got some great responses. We then used these as their success criteria over the weeks that I was teaching. The class teacher said it worked really well and gave them a great focus. I will definitely be using video demonstrations again and filming the pupils in action can really help them evaluate their performance.

Thank you for such a worthwhile suggestion.

Nicola-Kate

November 22, 2012 @ 9:09 am   Reply

Thank you for your comment Claire, I am glad you found the blog post worthwhile.

As Megan mentioned previously, she along with many other trainee teachers are not confident teaching PE anyway. So I thought I would make this blog as it would be useful for trainee teachers who lack confidence in PE :).

I am pleased you got the opportunity to use ICT in PE on your 2a placement, as you saw the benefits it has on the children’s learning, also them taking control of their own learning. I think it is important that children take control of their own learning (Key Stage 2 mainly); and by evaluating their own performance they are learning new skills to peer and self assess.

Reading through the structure of what you did in your gymnastics lesson sounds fantastic πŸ™‚

Megan

November 21, 2012 @ 4:01 pm   Reply

Hey Nicola,
This post has been really useful as I’m sure a lot of us, like myself, find PE quite intimidating so you’ve given lots of great ideas that we can now use in schools! Thanks πŸ™‚

Nicola-Kate

November 21, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   Reply

I am pleased you found this blog useful Megan πŸ™‚ using ICT in PE will make assessment in PE a lot less stress for you! As well as being a teaching tool.

Bailey

November 22, 2012 @ 6:46 pm   Reply

Hey Nicola, just wanted to say that I also found this post extremely useful. As an English specialist, I’m not PE’s biggest fan and haven’t really given a great deal of thought about how to incorporate ICT into it. This post has really changed my thinking though. I especially like the idea at the end about using it to demonstrate swimming techniques, I hadn’t considered this before. Thanks for a very interesting and insightful post!
πŸ˜€

Nicola-Kate

November 22, 2012 @ 7:15 pm   Reply

Thanks for your comment Emma πŸ™‚ I am glad you found it useful. As I am passionate about PE I want to encourage other people to enjoy teaching PE and using ICT is an interesting approach to PE πŸ™‚

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI